Thursday 21 July 2011




Hello, I'd like to discuss the tools and materials I use for my conversions. If you feel that you are more informed , or more experienced using the tools or materials I discuss, please say, and I will amend this original post with your comments. Everything I have learned has been through GW hobby articles, websites such as this and good old-fashioned hard-earned-experience.

For my first article I would like to introduce you to my favourite sculpting tool, the infamous Zahle Wax Carver no. 5

The premier sculpting tool for miniature designers (at least it was). In my opinion, this is the holy grail of sculpting tools (and is just as hard to find in Britain). I don't think that it would be an understatement to say, that you could perform 90% of all sculpting tasks with this tool. Whether a seasoned veteran, or just cutting your teeth, you will come to appreciate the versatility of this tool when you start using it.

The curved blade allows you to create fur, hair and sculpt fine details like facial depressions and anatomy. The tools ends in a sharp point, suitable for creating purity seals or chainmail and the large flat surface of the blade allows you to press putty into rough shapes to be refined with the sharper edges. I mainly use the other edge to smooth out putty where my clay shaper would be inappropriate (such as the depressions in cloaks).


I'm sure that I haven't even scratched the surface of the versatility this tool provides a sculptor. If you are interested in sculpting and don't know where to start, you could do a lot worse than making this your first purchase. 


LilLoser

0 comments :

Post a Comment