Thursday 10 September 2015


I was fortunate to be a part of the hobby when Warhammer Monthly was launched. This wonderful comic book introduced Dan Abnett to the Warhammer universe, brought us the devious adventures of Malus Darkblade and of course gave us the doomed quest for a lost sword; Blood Quest. It's a simple enough plot - A Blood Angel Captain is sent to protect an imperial outpost and loses a priceless Chapter artefact; the Blade Encarmine. This fact stayed with me all my life. It's strange what silly things you remember. I don't remember much about algebra and I couldn't tell you the difference between an igneous or metamorphic rock, but I can tell you that the Blade Encarmine was gifted to Belarius by Sanguinius at the close of the Horus Heresy. 




So when designing a 30K Heresy force who else would I create but Belarius? 

We can't escape the visual imagery of the Angel when it comes to the ninth. I like to imagine that when an Astartes is fully grown he looks out of proportion, overly muscled, thick necked with wide faces - this is a part of their inhumanity. However when a Blood Angel ascends their inhumanity expresses itself in painful beauty. A beauty so flawless that it looks unnatural. The base of the model provides that. 





I want Belarius to have an extended scenic base like the other characters produced by Forge World. Working as a commission artist has a few perks, and having a bits pile from previous jobs is one of them. I cut up Abbaddon vs. Loken's base and repositioned them. My intent it to have Belarius to be 'floating' above the ruins in the centre. 



I knocked up this tester for my Sanguinary Guard. I don't like the wings they come with so it's only natural that I'd want to add more right? I've divided the feathers to make them look a little more natural. In my mind I can see something similar to Gundamn Wing Zero where the wings can full encompass the marine in a protective shield. However there just aren't any suitable wings out there, either through third party manufacturers or proxy. Forge World save me by releasing an upgrade kit for them!



Lastly we have the heads for my Sanguinary priest (where they called this in the Heresy?) I have been inspired by a piece of artwork from the classic Angels of Darkness book to create a rather grizzled battle damaged face. 





Paints used: Vallejo, Reaper Master Series, Games Workshop Washes, Com Art Medea Airbrush Airbrush: Iwata Hi-Line HP-CH Airbrush Paint Brushes: Rosemary & Co. Raphael 8040, Broken Toad Brushes, Windsor and Newton Series 7

3 comments :

  1. Face, pose, and base are looking fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really look forward to seeing how this pans out, they look great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stunning. Feel like we sre in the shadow of mighty things ;)

    ReplyDelete